The best way to ameliorate the effects of the necessary budget cuts and/or tax increases is to get our economy moving forward at a brisk pace. Every American, whether an employer, employee, stockholder, non profit or government worker, has a vested interest in our businesses doing well. The reduction in deficit spending in the last half of the 1990's, along with full employment, falling poverty rates, and higher wages was a result of the business boom that took place during that period. Reducing regulation and replacing the current tax system with a national sales tax will provide a considerably greater degree of certainty than is available in todays economy. Businesses and governments around the world are looking for our leadership and example in dealing with our financial issues.
I therefore propose the following:
- As part of the switch to a national sales tax I will eliminate the corporate income tax, which punishes our most productive companies and
makes our products less competitive on the world market.
- Businesses will be strongly encouraged to invest their surplus funds to upgrade processes
and facilities. This will improve their competitiveness here and abroad, and provide relief to
their struggling supporting businesses.
- Repeal all EPA and OSHA regulations enacted since 2000. The IRS, EPA and OSHA, among others ,will be refocused to be more of a partner and
resource than as instruments of coercion and punishment. Repeal Obamacare, Sarbanes/Oxley and the Frank /Dodd bills.
- Businesses that have moved all or part of their operations overseas due to wage issues shall
be reviewed as to the feasibility of returning those industries to the U.S. and making use of
low cost prison labor. This will help train prison inmates to return to the work force and
offset some of the costs of their incarceration.
- Ensure that we have plentiful supplies of reasonably priced energy. Public lands shall be reviewed not only for their value with regard to wildlife and recreational activities but also its value to the general public from its resources and energy. Oil drilling in the arctic, offshore, and on federal lands shall be viewed in that context.
- The House of Representatives shall review every federal regulations in its' final form and
shall approve, reject, or rewrite it before the regulation goes into effect.
- Return as many unemployed to the workforce by encouraging early retirement for those who can and and extended leave for one person of a two income household where feasible.